Monday, August 8, 2011

The Picks Are In!! (AFC East)

Football is back! It feels so good, especially since we're likely to see much or all of my beloved NBA lost in the upcoming season. So get your living room ready, start your fantasy drafts and prepare to disgust your wives and girlfriends by how little you do from ESPN's NFL Countdown all the way til the final play of Monday Night Football!

This summer saw quite possibly the craziest free agency period in NFL (and maybe even sports in general) history, and through a draft class on the weaker side (yeah I know Nnamdi was a big deal, but there are too many "If You Give That Guy Too Much Money and Too Many Years He's Probably Going to Underperform" guys that were signed), the landscape of the NFL has changed. Although it may not be a seismic change, it will still effect which teams we're going to bet on, root for, and berate in utter disgust in January. So without further ado, Steadward's NFL Division Standings for the 2011-2012 season! (You may not be as excited as I am, I have bad luck with these things.)

AFC East:

1. New England Patriots
I did this alphabetically, which stinks because this is one of the hardest divisions to guess which of the two powerhouses will end up with the division title. But I'm going with New England (I'm not happy about it either, Jets fans), and the first two reasons I decided this are the same two reasons many will pick New England to win this division: Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Belichick was turning heads again this offseason. In the transition period seeing many players head to new cities, Belichick traded for WR Chad Ochocinco and DT Albert Haynesworth. This would usually make football fans shake their heads, if say, Dallas acquired these players, but when The Hoodie makes these moves, people just say "Oh man, Belichick's at it again!" Ochocinco, what some people may not understand (who obviously don't know much about about football), does not have a bad attitude, and his outlandishness, though it may not subside completely, will not come before this team and what its aims are for the season. Ochocinco has lost a step, of course, at 33 years old, but he may have the best hands in the league outside of Larry Fitzgerald and Braylon Edwards (just kidding about the second one). Haynesworth is playing for more. The Patriots can let him go whenever they want. Although he may not have completely let go of the Krispy Kreme diet, can you imagine how offenses feel when they look over and Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork are looking at you like your their dinner? I think both signings aid the Patriots in the regular season. Tom Brady is as competitive as quarterbacks get and will never let his team lose sight of their short term and long terms goals. The third reason relates very directly to the first two: Teams with continuity and strong veteran leadership fare better in seasons following a lockout. With teams missing workouts this summer due to work stoppage, teams with a strong nucleus such as the New England Patriots, guided by their scheming coach and fearless quarterback.

2. New York Jets (wild card)
Though we likely know what head coach Rex Ryan will guarantee this preaseason: a Super Bowl Championship in February. I feel the same way about the Jets as I did last year, so I feel they will once again finish behind Tom Brady and the Pats. They still have the leagues best cornerback, someone who, needless to say, can shut any receiver and make him a non-factor in the game, and someone who is also a weak pass rush's best friend, such as the Jets. With Darrelle Revis and Linebacker David Harris, Rex Ryan can fill in almost anyone outside of my tiny frame into his defensive schemes and produce results, shutting down opposing offenses. So they'll win a good amount of games only scoring points in single digits or slightly beyond. But I still don't trust Mark Sanchez and his issues with accuracy, and I think a newly signed Santonio Holmes (they had to spend the money, but it is still too much), Plaxico Burress (2 years removed from competitive football) and the addition of an aging Derrick Mason are a downgrade from Holmes playing with something to prove, Braylon Edwards (despite my jokes at his expense), and Jerricho Cotchery. LaDanian Tolmlinson was great as a backup last season, but we all know the self life of halfbacks. Shonn Greene will have a nice season, but they need more than just his downhill running. The Jets also will have to throw in younger players on the offensive line, although Nick Mangold may be the best center in the league outside of Maurkice Pouncey. Yes, this Jets team looks ready for another postseason berth, but I don't see anything I didn't see from last season that will suggest they pass the Patriots in the regular season. And I know its boring to start with two picks identical from last season, but I hope you're ready for a curveball...

3. Buffalo Bills
I know, third in a division doesn't guarantee immortality on NFL Films, but if you're a Bills fan try to tell me you would not be happy with a 3rd place finish with the top 2 spots so locked up. Ryan Fitzpatrick may not be the guy you want under center, but he is a gamer. The team fell in a lot of close games with Fitzpatrick leading the charges, tossing to one of the NFL's breakout stars of last season, Stevie Johnson. Maybe this season, Stevie won't have to publicly question his faith on Twitter and will make a few more big plays. I love Fred Jackson and I have a feeling CJ Spiller will bounce back from a dismal rookie season at running back. Still, I don't like the defense and their stuck with Chan Gailey as their head coach (if you recall, they really had no choice but to bring this ineffective coach in). With that said, I like their chances to finish third better than the next team.

4. Miami Dolphins
Welcome to the Chad Henne/Matt Moore show! Brandon Marshall, you thought you saw over/underthrown balls last season? Well don't worry, Miami brought in Matt Moore, who lost his starting job to Jimmy Clausen! It's hard for Miami fans to be excited when you have this circus at quarterback and Reggie Bush as the new feature back (That is, if there are real Miami fans. I think there are Dolphins fans. But Heat and Marlins games show a pretty seemingly indifferent group of people). Reggie is a great threat and asset to an offense, but he works better as a second or third option, not the focal point of a backfield. Daniel Thomas is a nice player, but he landed in a bad situation this year. Unfortunately for defensive stars Cameron Wake and Karlos Dansby, they could be headed for the bottom of the barrel of the AFC East.

No comments:

Post a Comment