Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Picks Are In!! (AFC North)

AFC North:

1. Baltimore Ravens
This is another hard division to pick, and it's not much of a difference going either way with the teams who have more or less dominated the division of late. So I'll pick the Ravens to get over the hump and take the AFC North crown from the Steelers. My biggest reason for doing so: I believe the Ravens have the best defensive player in the league. No I'm not talking about Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, or Terrell "Sack-Master" Suggs. I'm talking about Haloti Ngata. Ngata at times could single-handedly dismantle offensive lines last season, in the pass and the rush game, doing his best Albert Haynesworth pre-record-breaking salary impression. With all the pressure he creates, he allows Suggs to get to the quarterback faster, Lewis to the the holes harder, and Reed to pick the best spots to make a play on the ball. Offensively, while I'm not in love with Flacco's accuracy and failure to spread the ball around, the Ravens have enough weapons to get down the field and put enough points on the board to let their defense win the games.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (wild card)
Ben Roethlisberger has been to three Super Bowls and has two rings. But that was the single, womanizing Ben! Now he is happily married! While I'm kidding and don't actually think that will affect the results of the team, I just am wary to put the Steelers ahead of the Ravens this season. There are plenty of positives to start, however. Mike Wallace broke out last season as the best big play receiver not named DeSean Jackson or Calvin Johnson last year. Rashard Mendenhall dances around defenders and can break for big runs. And Ben can extend the play better than anyone, even speedy quarterbacks Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers. His size and awareness help him keep the play going when most count the team out from the get-go. But James Harrison's no-show in the Super Bowl worries me (not his hatred of Roger Goodell, he can play through that). Troy Polamalu's health is a real concern, especially as he gets older and starts to slow down. Hines Ward is really getting up their in age and his play-making and run-blocking will begin to decline. Their offensive line is still shaky, even with the best center Maurkice Pouncey. But things in the NFL always change and fluctuate from year to year, so this year the AFC North, I believe, belongs to the Baltimore Ravens.

3. Cleveland Browns
They finish third ONLY because of the futility of the Cincinnati Bengals. I never though Eric Mangini was a great head coach, but really Mike Holmgren? You're gonna higher the offensive coordinator of a 7-9 team as your head coach? Pat Shurmur has his work cut out, but he does have a breakout, bull-dozing running back in Peyton Hillis, the best offensive tackle in the game in Joe Thomas, and a wealth of developing young talent. Colt McCoy is showing flashes of the leadership he exhibited at Texas en route to becoming the winningest quarterback in college football history, and while he may not be Pro Bowl material, he will lead a team to the playoffs in his career. Joe Haden showed flashes of his great potential in his rookie season, making six interceptions on the season. Mohamed Massaquoi is a good possession receiver and security blanket for McCoy. However I think the defense will take a step back with the departure of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to Dallas. This looks to be a team that doesn't make the playoffs, but they don't go out with a fight for the teams in their path.

4. Cincinnati Bengals
I don't really feel like doing this one. But I'll try to look hard and find the positives. Leon Hall is a great cornerback and held down the secondary with Jonathan Joseph last season, who fled for greener pastures in Houston. AJ Green is a great talent with potential to be one of the league's top wideouts, but it won't happen this year. Okay I'm done with the positives. Their defense has several holes, and opposing offenses are going to love when Cincy comes to town. At least they have Bruce Gradkowski under center. No I'm kidding. Carson Palmer, please come out of retirement and give some life to this team and be a red-headed influence to guide a promising young red-head like yourself, Andy Dalton. Love, the city of Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment